WebEx is an application that provides on-demand, collaborative web meetings, including audio/video conferencing and content sharing. WebEx allows you to connect and collaborate with anyone who is connected to the Internet.
Do I need to request access to WebEx?
Many WebEx accounts have already been established. If you are unable to log in, contact the IT Help Desk to request access. For information on how to log in to WebEx, visit the Using WebEx section of this website.
Do I have to install any software to host WebEx meetings?
A small WebEx browser add-on must be installed when starting meetings via https://mercer.webex.com.
WebEx also offers software which integrates with Outlook, WebEx Productivity Tools, allowing you to schedule meetings without having to log in to the WebEx website. The WebEx Productivity Tools will not be available on public computers, and are intended to only be used on Mercer computers. To access the WebEx Productivity Tools:
- Windows: There is nothing you have to do. WebEx Productivity Tools have been installed as part of our basic computer set-up process. You will find them in the WebEx folder in your program list (Start > All Programs > WebEx). If for some reason you don't see the tools, visit this website for instructions on how to install them.
- Mac: You will need to install WebEx Productivity Tools. Instructions on how to do so can be found on this website.
Can WebEx be used to communicate with students or individuals not affiliated with Mercer?
Yes, you will be able to collaborate with anyone who has a computer or mobile device connected to the Internet.
Do all attendees have to log into a WebEx account to join a meeting?
No, attendees do not have to log into a WebEx account to join a meeting. A WebEx account is only required to schedule meetings. Once the host creates the meeting, all other participants can join regardless of whether they have an account.
Do I have to use a Mercer computer to host a WebEx meeting?
No, you can start a meeting from any computer connected to the Internet by logging into https://mercer.webex.com. You will need to install the WebEx browser add-on when you create your meeting.
Do I have to install any software in order to join a meeting?
Depending on your web browser, you may be prompted to install the WebEx browser add-on before you can join a meeting. You can test your computer's readiness by joining a test meeting.
I don't have a webcam or microphone. Can I still join or host meetings?
Yes, you can still join and host meetings, and you'll be able to see and hear the video and audio from the other participants. WebEx meetings include a chat feature, so even without audio or video, you can still communicate with the participants by typing.
Can I schedule WebEx meetings through Outlook?
Yes, WebEx allows you to add online meeting functionality to an Outlook appointment. When the Outlook meeting request is created, the WebEx information is generated automatically and emailed to the attendees.
- Visit https://mercer.webex.com
- Click the Log In link, located in the upper-right corner of the page.
- Enter the same user name and password used to log in to your computer, MercerConnect, or MyMercer.
How do I schedule a meeting?
- From any computer with Internet access:
- Log in to Mercer's WebEx website.
- Click Meeting Center, located in the upper-left corner of the page.
- Under the Host a Meeting menu on the left, select Schedule a Meeting.
- From a Mercer computer via Outlook:
- Create the meeting request in Outlook on Windows or Mac.
- Click the Add WebEx Meeting button.
- Configure the meeting options. When the meeting is saved, the WebEx information will be added to the meeting invitation.
Note: The first time you schedule a meeting, you will be prompted for your user name and password. If you see the following window appear, click the OK button, and then enter the same user name and password used to log in to your computer, MercerConnect, or MyMercer.
- Using the WebEx Productivity Tools:
- Expand the WebEx folder in the Start menu program list and run the WebEx One-Click program, located in the Productivity Tools folder.
- Click the Start Meeting button if you want to start the meeting immediately, or the Schedule Meeting button if the meeting will be held at a later time. If you click Schedule Meeting, an Outlook meeting request window will open, allowing you to add the meeting to your Outlook calendar.
Note: The first time you schedule a meeting, you will be prompted for your user name and password. If you see the following window appear, click the OK button, and then enter the same username and password used to log in to your computer, MercerConnect, or MyMercer.
- Click the Productivity Tools icon in the menu bar at the top of the screen. If the icon does not appear, launch WebEx Productivity Tools located in the WebEx folder in the list of Applications.
- Click Meet Now if you want to start the meeting immediately, or Schedule WebEx Meeting if the meeting will be held at a later time. If you click Schedule Meeting, an Outlook meeting request window will open, allowing you to add the meeting to your Outlook calendar.
The following guides offer instructions on how to use the main features of WebEx. Additional training materials can be located at https://mercer.webex.com. After logging in, select Meeting Center, located in the upper-left corner of the page. Links to user guides and training can be found under the Support heading on the left.
- WebEx - Getting Started
- Meeting Center Guide for Windows
- Meeting Center Guide for Mac
- Meeting Center Guide - Using Video
- Meeting Center Guide - Presenting Content
If you need assistance with Microsoft WebEx, contact the IT Help Desk.