Mercer IT maintains a wireless networking system, by which the Mercer students can access the Internet.
In this section:
- Wired Access
- Wireless Access for Students
- Wireless Access for Guests
- Game Consoles and Media Devices
- Wireless Printers
To connect to our wired network, simply plug an Ethernet cable into your computer, game console, or other devices and the wall jack with a blue tab (not white). Cables may be purchased at the bookstore or at the Auxiliary Services office on the Macon campus; you will also find them at most major retailers.
NOTE: Wired network access is not available in the following buildings:
- Mercer Lofts I, II, III, IV
If you require wired network access, contact Lofts management at (478) 743-5638.
Mercer has 3 wireless networks available for student device connectivity:
- MU-Secure: This is the primary wireless network for student computers, tablets, and phones. Devices must support 802.1X authentication. Click the appropriate link below for instructions on connecting to MU-Secure:
- MU-BYOD: Used for any device which cannot connect to MU-Secure (game consoles and multimedia devices such as Apple TV, Roku, etc.) Devices must be registered to connect to this network via the following website:
Click here for instructions on how to register devices to connect to MU-BYOD.
NOTE: MU-BYOD allows 2 devices to be registered, and they will need to be re-registered every 90 days.
- MU-Secure-Setup: Used only to configure devices to connect to MU-Secure in the event that they cannot connect normally. Connecting a device to MU-Secure-Setup will prompt you to log in to a website with the same username and password used to log into MyMercer and MercerLive. After logging in, you will be prompted to run a program which will configure your device to connect to MU-Secure. Once the device is connected to MU-Secure, you will not need to connect to MU-Secure-Setup again.
NOTE: In most cases, it is not necessary to connect to the MU-Secure-Setup network in order to use MU-Secure.
Guests (parents, visitors, etc.) may access the MU-Guest wireless network in select areas on campus. Simply select the MU-Guest wireless connection from the list of available networks. Once connected, open an internet browser to reach a page where a guest account can be created. Visit this website for instructions on creating a wireless guest account.
NOTE: The MU-Guest network is not available in the dorms, apartments, Lofts, or any property not owned by Mercer.
Mercer IT strongly recommends connecting game consoles and multimedia devices (Apple TV, Roku, etc.) via Ethernet; however, these devices can be registered to connect to the MU-BYOD wireless network. Network compatibility information for these devices is listed below:
- Chromecast: Will not work on our network. Chromecasts requires communication with another device connected to the same network in order to control it, but our network security will prevent the communication between the devices.
- Game consoles: Can connect to the wired network or MU-BYOD.
- Apple TV, Roku, Smart TV: Can connect to the wired network or MU-BYOD. Screen casting will not work, but viewing channels (Netflix, Hulu, etc.). will function normally.
- Fire TV Stick, Roku Stream Stick: Must be connected to MU-BYOD. Screen casting will not work, but viewing channels (Netflix, Hulu, etc.) will function normally.
Wireless printers will not work on any wireless network. Although printers could be registered to connect to MU-BYOD, network security prevents devices from communicating with each other. Printers must be connected to a computer with a USB cable.